Updated May 25 2018.
Changes to this Privacy Statement:
From time to time, IoT Community may update its Policy. IoT Community will post the new Policy on this page with a new Effective Date to notify you of these changes. If IoT Community makes any substantial changes in the way it uses your information, it will notify you by email. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check this Policy frequently for updates. By accessing the Online Services after the Effective Date, you are deemed to consent to our then-current Policy.
HOW DO WE AND THIRD PARTIES GATHER AND/OR TRACK INFORMATION ABOUT YOU?
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE
- Email Newsletters: When you sign-up to receive free IoT Community email information newsletters, IoT Community may require that you supply your name, email address and other information which enable us to provide you with access to this service.
- Registration for IoT Community Products, Services and Events: When you register to receive IoT Community products or services, fill in forms or surveys, create a profile, post material on the Online Services, or sign up for various events, whether they are free or paid, and whether they are offered by us or provided in association with our third party partners, IoT Community may collect this data and may require that you supply your full name, email address, contact information, and other information. In some instances, IoT Community also collects credit card information to bill members for premium products and to bill attendees for events.
- Contests, Sweepstakes, and Promotions. We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (a “Promotion”) that may require registration. You will be asked to provide information in order to participate in any such Promotions, and any information you provide may be used and disclosed as set forth in this Policy, as well as in connection with the administration of such Promotion.
- Partner Products & Services Offered on the Online Services: Third parties, such as partners, sponsors or advertisers whose services are promoted on the Online Services may request that you provide personal information. If you choose to do this, such information will be governed by the privacy policies of those third parties, for which we have no responsibility or liability.
- Event Registration: By registering, you consent to IoT Community sharing your contact data with sponsors for the IoT Slam events to keep you informed of suitable products, services and offerings. You can choose how we stay in touch with you by entering your email below and selecting your contact preferences:
IoT Community may also collect and process the following information about you:
- A record of correspondence it has with you.
- Details of your visits to the Online Services and the resources you use.
- Registration and or signing up to IoT Community On-Line services and newsletters
- Details of transactions you carry out via the Online Services.
- Information about your Device (including IP address, browser and operating system).
- Information you send us
IoT Community Uses Online Analytics and Monitoring Tools to Govern and Manage web Channels:
WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
IoT Community uses your personal and non-personal information that it collects from you and about you for the purposes set forth below. For the avoidance of doubt, IoT Community may use and disclose non-personal information for any purpose, except where IoT Community is required to do otherwise under applicable law. If IoT Community is required to treat non-personal information as personal information under applicable law, then IoT Community may use and disclose it for all the purposes for which IoT Community uses and discloses your personal information. IoT Community may use the information collected from one portion of the Online Services on other portions of the Online Services, and IoT Community may combine information gathered from multiple portions of the Online Services into a single record. IoT Community may also use or combine information that IoT Community collects offline or from third-party sources with your information collected from the Online Services. Additionally, data collected from a particular browser or Device may be used with another computer or Device that is associated with the browser or Device on which such data was collected, or transferred to a third party who may be able to track your activity across Devices, subject always to the terms of this Policy. IoT Community may use this information to:
- Enable Usage: IoT Community uses the information it gathers about you to enable your use of IoT Community’s products and services, including but not limited to accessing the Online Services, receiving e-newsletters, renewing paid services, participating in message boards, carrying out its contracts with you and enabling you to receive products and services that you request or (with your consent) which IoT Community thinks will interest you.
- Data Enhancement. IoT Community may acquire information from other trusted sources to update or supplement the information that you provided or we collected automatically, such as information to validate or update your address or other information.
- Customizing Your Experience on the Online Services: IoT Community uses the information that it collects and acquires to present content effectively to you and to customize your user experience on the Online Services, including delivering content to you that we think would be most relevant and of interest to you and providing you with an enhanced experience based on the type of Device you are using.
IoT Community may now or in the future provide aggregate information to advertisers to help them reach their target audience. IoT Community may use information it has collected to display advertisements to that audience.
WITH WHOM DOES IOT COMMUNITY SHARE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION IT COLLECTS?
IoT Community may, on occasion, choose to share the personal information collected about users with select third parties in accordance with this Policy for certain purposes, such as the following.
- Third Party Promotions. IoT Community may share your personal information with select third parties so that they may provide you with product or service offerings or promotions via email or direct mail which IoT Community feels may be of interest to you. Many of IoT Community’s subscribers find these email and direct mail promotions valuable, whether they are shopping for merchandise, taking advantage of special offers, or purchasing unique services. You may opt-out of having your personal information shared for this purpose, as described in greater detail below.
Personal information about you as an individual subscriber or registrant may be shared, regardless of your “opt-out” status, in the following instances:
- Compliance with Law: IoT Community may release information if it is required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (1) comply with the law or comply with legal process served on IoT Community; (2) protect and defend the legitimate business interests, rights, safety or property of IoT Community, its users, advertisers, customers, sponsors, advertisers or affiliates; and (3) protect again fraud or credit risks.
- Employees, Agents and Vendors: Your personal information may be disclosed to IoT’s employees and agents and IoT Community may on occasion use third-party vendors to assist it in performing its business functions, such as mailing statements to subscribers, email distribution, processing data and payments, and providing customer service. Personal information may be shared with these businesses or individuals to allow them to perform their assigned functions, but is limited to that information needed to perform the assigned function.
- Organizational Changes: Should IoT Community undergo a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization or liquidation, IoT Community’s accumulated customer information will be treated as an asset and, like other business assets, subject to transfer to a seller or acquisition by a third party buyer. We may also disclose information about our users in connection with a commercial transaction where we, or any one of our businesses, is seeking financing, investment, support or funding. IoT Community may also disclose your personal information to other businesses in its group (which means its subsidiaries, its ultimate holding company and its subsidiary as defined in Section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006).
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
IoT Community is not responsible for the content, security or the privacy policies of websites to which it may link. This Policy applies solely to information collected by IoT Community. You should consult the respective privacy policies of any applicable third parties to learn more about their privacy practices. IoT Community cannot be held liable to the Privacy Policies of others and / or practices once you have landed on their site.
FOREIGN / INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER OF DATA
Information that we collect may be handled, stored and processed in and transferred between any of the countries in which we operate in order to enable us to use the information in accordance to legal policies. Information which you provide may be transferred to countries (including the United States) that don’t enforce laws equivalent to those in force in the UK and or Eurozone. Additionally, personal information that you submit for publication on the websites will be published on the internet and may be available, via the internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use or misuse of such information by others. You definitively agree to such transfers of personal data and or information.
PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of information, IoT Community has put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to protect the information IoT Community collects online. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Please understand, however, that while we try our best to safeguard your personally identifiable information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any social media or other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure and you take the risk that any sending of that data turns out to be not secure despite IoT Community’s efforts. We will store all information you provide on secure servers. All transactions you make to / or receive from us will be encrypted – though in many cases we use third party payment processors including Eventbrite and Paypal to administer payments – details of respective privacy policies and how third parties comply can be found via the internet.
You need to help protect the privacy of your own information, including maintaining the confidentiality of any account information or access credentials. You must take precautions to protect the security of any personally identifiable information that you may transmit over any public or untrusted network by using encryption and other techniques to prevent unauthorized persons from intercepting or receiving any of your personally identifiable information. You are responsible for the security of your information when using unencrypted, open access, public or otherwise unsecured networks. You must keep your access details secure, we will never ask your password or any identifiable questions unless you are logging into an IoT Community members area.
A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CHILDREN
The IoT Community site is directed to a general audience and not directed to those under the age of 18. IoT Community asks that minors not submit any personal information. IoT Community does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from individuals under 18 years of age or knowingly allow such persons to register to use any Online Services. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected personal information from a user who is under 18 years of age without parental consent, we will take steps to remove that user’s personal information from our systems as quickly as possible.
WHERE DOES IOT COMMUNITY STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Online Services are operated in the United Kingdom and intended for users located globally. Please be aware that information we collect, including personal information, may be transferred to, processed and stored outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). By using the Online Services or providing us with any information, you consent to the transfer, processing and storage of your information in this way. IoT Community will do what it reasonably can to keep your data secure and in accordance with this Policy.
YOUR RIGHTS AND GOVERNING LAW
If you are already a registered member of IoT Community, we will only contact you electronically about products and services which are similar to those you have previously purchased. If you are a new member, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, you will only be contacted if you agree to it. If you do not wish to be contacted for marketing purposes or you do not wish IoT Community to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please opt out using one of the methods described towards the end of this Policy.
Following termination or deactivation of your account, IoT Community or its service providers may retain information about you for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
The UK Data Protect Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Any access request will be subject to a fee (currently £10) to meet IoT Community’s costs in providing you with details of the information it holds about you. To safeguard all data we hold, we will always require proof of identity to release any information we hold about any member.
The laws of England and Wales shall govern this Policy and any dispute arising out of or in relation to it, including those disputes arising from IoT Community’s use of personal information or otherwise relating to privacy and the Online Services. Both users and IoT Community agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in connection to disputes relating to the terms of this Policy. This Policy does not create rights enforceable by third parties.
- Email: Any recipient of email notices may opt out of receiving them at any time. To opt out of receiving emails, follow the unsubscribe instructions located near the bottom of each service update, newsletter or promotional email, or email your request to email@example.com
- Research Surveys: You may elect not to receive IoT Community research surveys by using the opt-out link contained in such emails and you may elect not to receive co-branded surveys by unsubscribing from emails from third party partners, as described here in.
- Postal Addresses: IoT Community collects postal mailing address information from you so that IoT Community may fulfill the orders you submit and to inform you of IoT Community programs, products and services in which you may be interested. You have the right to opt out of receiving postal mailings from IoT Community. If you do not wish to receive postal mailings from IoT Community in the future, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Third Party Event Sponsors. If you do not wish for IoT Community to share any information you supply when you register for an event (including any webinars and recognition dinners), such as your name, company name, postal address or email address, please specify this in an email email@example.com
Notice to comply with GDPR Legislations
Reasons/purposes for processing information
We process personal information to enable us to provide a broad range of services to our customers; maintain our accounts and records; promote and advertise our services; support and manage our employees. We also process personal information in the course of selling, hiring or exchanging it.
Type/classes of information processed
We process information relating to the above reasons/purposes. This information may include:
- personal details
- goods and services
We also process sensitive classes of information that may include:
- trade union membership
Who the information is processed about
We process personal information about:
- professional experts and consultants
Who the information may be shared with
We sometimes need to share the personal information we process with the individual themself and also with other organisations. Where this is necessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA).
What follows is a description of the types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons.
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- business associates and professional advisers
- current, past or prospective employers
- central government
- credit / or reference agencies
Trading and sharing personal information
Personal information is traded and shared as a primary business function. For this reason the information processed may include name, contact details, family details, financial details, employment details, and goods and services. This information may be about customers and clients. The information may be traded or shared with business associates and professional advisers, agents, service providers, customers and clients, and traders in personal data.
Consulting and advisory services
Information is processed for consultancy and advisory services that are offered. For this reason the information processed may include name, contact details, family details, financial details, and the goods and services provided. This information may be about customers and clients. Where necessary this information is shared with the data subject themselves, business associates and other professional advisers, current, past or prospective employers and service providers.
It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed information may be transferred to countries or territories around the world. Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the data protection act.
Information obtained by us from third parties
We may obtain information about you from public sources, in the European Union and non-EU, e.g Companies House, business directories, publications, social media, and websites (including your own website if you have one).
Our legitimate interests (Article 6 – 1 ; F of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
we have a legitimate interest in obtaining information about you from public and private sources. If you infringe (or we suspect infringement) of any of our legal rights, we have a legitimate interest to gather and administer information about you in order to investigate and pursue any suspected or potential infringement.
We share your information with third-parties to ensure the smooth and continuous running of our business and services to you. Details of the type of third-parties we use are set out betlow:
Further information on each of these third parties is set out below.
Legal basis for processing: (Article 6 – 1 ; F of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
Legitimate interest: managing and running our business effectively.
Accountants We share information with our chartered accountants for tax and accounting purposes. We share invoices and order details we issue and receive with our accountants to prepare and submit tax returns and our end of year accounts. Our accountants are located in the United Kingdom. Advisors We will share your information with our advisors only where it is necessary to enable advisors to provide us with advice. Our advisors are located globally. Affiliates Our affiliates are in any industry, or sector. Affiliates exchange information with us and we exchange information with them where opt-in to an interest in our products or services. Our affiliates are located Globally Business partners Our business partners provide complementary goods and services allowing us to provide our services which we could not otherwise provide on our own. We exchange information with business partners where you opt-in to services which they provide. Our business partners are located globally. External contractors Your information will be shared with external contractors only where it is necessary for them to perform the function we have hired them to perform in relation to our business. Our independent contractors are located globally. Insurers Where necessary we share your information with our insurers, i.e in relation to a claim or potential claim we receive or make.
How long we retain your information
We have defined and specific retention periods where possible and use the following criteria to determine the retention period.
Processing / Fulfilling Order information: we retain order information for a minimum period of six years post end-of-financial year which your order was placed, to comply with legal obligation to keep accurate and verifiable records for tax purposes per P6, S11 (VAT) Value Added Tax Act 1994.
Correspondence and inquiries: we retain your information for as long as it takes to respond and to resolve your inquiry, then we remove your information from our system.
Contact / Email list: when you sign-up to newsletter or any mailing lists, we retain information about you as long as you remain subscribed or you opt to unsubscribe (which you can do at any time) or if we decide to cancel newsletter.
We retain personal information as long as necessary, considering the following:
- you consent – which enables a legal ground to continue to store and process your information;
- purpose and use of your information in current and future i.e if we are need to retain information in order to continue to perform our obligations under a contract with you or to contact you;
- legal obligations to continue to process your information including record keeping requirements prescribed by law or regulation
- other mitigating conditions
The registered Data Controller for this site and all IoT Community sites and channels is David Hill
Registered ICO Data Protection Number
IoT Community Registration Number is – ZA335530
If you would like to contact us about this Policy or otherwise, please write to us at:
IoT Community Ltd, Derwig Drefach Felindre, Llandysul, SA44 5XR, United Kingdom
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org